That is right, if you though there was no secret society of meditating-lightsaber-wielding-force-believing nerds hooded people, you were wrong. They are out there they do exist and they have rules, scriptures and the like. For a fictional based religion they are pretty darn good and have a recognized existence in some parts of the world (Sorry Yevonites); do note I did not say it is fully recognized as a religion, people just recognize that there are other people who believe in The Force. This ‘religion’ really came out at the beginning of the 21st century when a religious census poll was held and in multiple nations and hardcore believers in The Force, consequently Jediism, admitted they believed in “The Force”. In 2003; The Jedi Sanctuary was chartered by the Universal Life Church, in 2005; The Temple Of The Jedi Order was incorporated as a Texas non-profit religious corporation, In 2007; a 30-member Jedi church was set up in Wales, in 2008; the Oklahoma congregation of the Temple Of The Jedi Order was founded.
So here is some of my research starting with the Jedi Code:
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.
If you delve deeper into Jediism you find that some texts do not use the fourth line “There is no chaos, there is harmony.” In their Jedi Code, for all intents and purposes I will put it in as part of the code as I have heard that more times than not it is part of the code. Depending on which edition of Jediism you follow, Old Testament or Luke New Testament, there is also another code sometimes referred to as the Jedi Creed:
Jedi are the guardians of peace in the Galaxy.
Jedi use their powers to defend and protect, never to attack others.
Jedi respect all life, in any form.
Jedi serve others rather than rule over them, for the good of the Galaxy.
Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training.
And to really enlighten the readers I went as far as finding the Jedi teachings
1. As Jedi, we are in touch with the Living Force flowing through and around us, as well as being spiritually aware of the Force. Jedi are trained to become sensitive to the Force’s energy, fluctuations, and disturbances.
2. Jedi live and focus on the present; we must neither dwell on the past nor be overly concerned about the future. As the mind wanders, focusing on the present is a task not easily attained, for the mind is not content with the eternal present moment. As Jedi, we must release our stress and ease our minds.
3. Jedi must maintain a clear mind; this is achieved through meditation and contemplation. Our minds can become cluttered and infected by forces and attitudes that we encounter every day, and must be purged of these unnecessary elements on a daily basis.
4. As Jedi, we are mindful of our thoughts… we focus our thoughts on the positive. The positive energy of the force is healthy for the mind, body and spirit.
5. As Jedi, we trust and use our feelings. We are intuitive, more so than others and with this heightened intuition we become more spiritually evolved as our minds become more harmonious with the Force and its influences.
6. Jedi are patient. Patience is elusive but can be consciously developed over time.
7. Jedi are mindful of the negative emotions which lead to the Dark Side: Anger, Fear, Aggression, and Hate. If we sense these emotions manifesting within ourselves, we must meditate on the Jedi Code and focus on purging these destructive emotions.
8. Jedi understand that physical training is as important as training the mind and the spirit. We understand that all aspects of training are necessary to maintain the Jedi way of life and to perform the duties of a Jedi.
9. Jedi protect the peace. We are warriors of peace, and are not ones to use force to resolve a conflict; it is through peace, understanding and harmony that conflicts resolve.
10. Jedi believe in destiny and trust in the will of the Living Force. We accept the fact that what seems to be random events are not random at all, but the design of the Living Force of Creation. Each living creature has a purpose, understanding that purpose comes with a deep awareness of the Force. Even things that happen which seem negative have a purpose, though that purpose is not easy to see.
11. Jedi must let go of obsessive attachment, both material and personal. The obsession over possessions creates the fear of loosing those possessions, which can lead to the Dark Side.
12. Jedi believe in eternal life. We do not become obsessed in mourning those who pass. Grieve as you will but take heart, for the soul and spirit continue in the netherworld of the Living Force.
13. Jedi use the Force only when it is necessary. We do not apply our abilities or powers to boast or be prideful. We use the Force for knowledge, and exercise wisdom and humility in doing so, for humility is a trait all Jedi must embody.
14. We as Jedi believe that love and compassion are central to our lives. We must love each other as we love ourselves; by doing this, we envelope all life in the positive energy of the Force.
15. Jedi are guardians of peace and justice. We believe in finding peaceful solutions to problems, gifted as we are we remain negotiators of the utmost ability. We never negotiate out of fear, but never fear to negotiate. We embrace justice, protecting and preserving the fundamental rights of all living creatures. Empathy and compassion are vital to us; it allows us to comprehend the wounds caused by injustice.
16. We as Jedi make a commitment to, and are loyal to the Jedi cause. The ideals, philosophies, and practices of the Jedi define the belief of Jediism, and we take action on this path for self-improvement, and to help others. We are both the witnesses and protectors of the Jedi way by the practice of our Faith.
That’s right folks you thought Jedi followers were a myth, far from; but as a person, let alone an artist, where each and every person is entitled to believe what they want doesn’t this just make you say, “What the fuck?”.
Keep Us Entertained!®